Kings Johns Limerick Castle
The Castle was built between 1200 and 1210 and was repaired and extended many time in the following centuries. The visitors centre at the Castle contains an creative historical exhibition which tells the story of the Castle. Archaeological excavations have revealed Pre-Norman settlements and evidence from the traumatic siege of 1642. The courtyard and castle display some of the trades and traditions of the 16th century with the aid of costumed characters. The castle offers panoramic views of Limerick city and the surrounding countryside.
The Palace has a classical facade and is related to the English Palladian style. The house is currently occupied by Limerick Civic Trust and visitors are welcome.
Angela's Ashes Tour
Angelas Ashes Walking Tour is a walking tour in Limerick taking in locations featured in Dr. Frank McCourts Pulitzer Prize winning biography. Angelas Ashes is the memoir of Frank McCourt and describes the story of the McCourt family as it attempts to survive daily life and hardships of 1930-1940s Limerick.
Medieval Limerick on Kings Island
King’s Island is the oldest part of Limerick and is the administrative heart of the city. The city has been run from here for centuries and the area’s imposing buildings span that time. From earliest times the administrative centre of the city was situated in English Town first with the construction of King John’s Castle and later with the establishment of the Tholsel, which was the city’s first town hall, build in 1449. Other medieval gems include St Mary’s Cathedral and the remains of Bourke’s House, a fortified tower house.
Desmond Castle Adare
The castle is currently under going restoration, consequently there is limited access to the public.
It is hoped that once the initial restoration works are completed that the castle will be open to the public. The castle may also be viewed from the bridge.
The Barringtons moved to England in the 1920s and in1927 sold the castle and lands to the Benedictine Order. It became an abbey in 1957. Visitors are welcome to Glenstal Abbey.
They can walk in the extensive grounds and in the seventeenth-century terrace garden, participate in the community’s worship (at set times throughout the day), visit the Icon Chapel (by arrangement) and browse in the Abbey Book and Gift Shop.
St Mary’s Cathedral
The Cathedral of Saint Mary Blessed Virgin has had a long and eventful history. It was founded in 1168 on the site of a palace donated by Donal Mor O'Brien King of Munster. Experts believe that parts of the palace are incorporated into the present structure of the Cathedral.
The most prominent is the West Door which tradition has it was the main entrance to the palace. The palace had been built on the site of the Viking meeting house. This had been the centre of government in the early medieval Viking city.
The Cathedral has seen many changes as the city expanded around it and it remains today the oldest and most historic building in Limerick.